Are you responsible for your meter boxes?

Have you noticed that one or both of your meter boxes has become damaged in some way? If so, who is responsible for its upkeep? Initially, when these boxes were first used, the gas or electricity companies owned and maintained them. Since the industry deregulation, the gas and electricity providers are no longer responsible for meter box covers.

Image credit

These fixtures often need to be noticed. They sit outside and might only be seen occasionally when it’s time to take a meter reading. However, being out in the elements, they are vulnerable to damage. Many are made from plastic which can crack and break over time. When sharing accommodation with multiple occupants, the issue of repair and maintenance can be confusing.

Regulation 416.2.3 of the IEE Wiring Regulations, covers the issue of meter boxes. Briefly, the law details how a cover must protect and secure the parts found therein. It must be lockable with a key required to open it, and not having such a covering breaks these regulations.

As you can see, a meter box is essential, but who should repair or replace it?

There are different regulations for gas boxes found in the Gas Safety Regulations 1998. A meter must be protected from damage, and the rules outline suitable options for providing meter housing cases. When you need a Gas Meter box, visit

Ultimately, the customer or homeowner is responsible for the upkeep of any meters on their property and the proper maintenance required for safety. This includes ensuring that the meter is housed correctly.

Image credit

A homeowner or landlord can install housing before a supply line has been put in, or a gas and electric provider can install one with agreement from the customer. However, once that box is in situ, the property owner becomes liable for its maintenance and upkeep.

This applies to gas and electricity meter housing, so as a homeowner with a damaged box, you’ll want to rectify the situation quickly to avoid further damage and contravene the relevant regulations.

Types of damage that can happen are most likely from bad weather, such as heavy rain and wind. Vandalism is also an issue, as is age. The first sign could be the unit separating from the wall fixings or a door becoming loose. Hiring a professional engineer means you don’t need to worry about trying to replace the unit yourself.